Friday, April 18, 2008

"I'm freezing like an acorn"

"I'm freezing like an acorn"

That's the 5 year old quote of the week.
The other highlight was having to run back to the house on the way to school today to frantically find something for show and tell. Remember show and tell? Well, there are rules now, and you can't just bring whatever you want. (I bet those teachers wised up after seeing the same toy week after week after week). Anyway, the show and tell item must begin with the letter of the week, and it must be kept a secret inside the backpack. Then the kid who brings it has to give out clues so the class can guess what it is. What is the letter of the week this week? Well, the letter o. As in ostrich, ox, olives, octopus......you get the idea. What the heck to you bring for that? Especially when you've forgotten until after you start walking to school? Well, Ethan swore he had an octopus in his room, and he knew right where it was, under one of his lions. Now, the kid is usually right, but I honestly can't even think of what lions he has, let alone a toy octopus. So we looked briefly and frantically, and then I gave up. I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a tiny rubbermaid container with a lid, and dumped 4 olives in it. I said, "Sorry honey, this is the best we can do." Now, in my head, I'm thinking, if I was Ethan, I would be devastated that I didn't find the octopus, and I'd be really embarrassed to be bringing a cup of olives for show and tell. NOPE. Not my kid. He's totally happy with it, we dump it in his backpack,and he says, "I know what I'm going to tell everyone for the clue. I'm going to say it has a red thing in the middle. That will be AWESOME!!"
So, after school, I pick him up and ask about show and tell, did anybody guess it? I'm thinking maybe they did, because they had olives on one of their letter o pages this week, so it's not totally out of left field. Ethan says, "Nope. The teacher had to look in my bad and see it. I told them it had a red thing in the middle and an "x" on the back side." Well, gee, I don't think I would have guessed it either. :)

No comments: